At around 2:45 p.m. today a Doane staff member said that they believed to spot what they thought to be a mountain lion around the Outdoor Nature Center, an email from Doane Safety Office stated which was sent out to students and staff members at 4:25 p.m.
The email states that the report was unconfirmed and that there are no longer any signs of an animal in that area. The “Nebraska Game and Parks Department as well as other on-campus resources,” were contacted to search the scene for evidence of an animal.
The NGPD added that because of the “natural environment,” of Doane it is not uncommon to spot animal sightings. They also noted that,
- Their office receives multiple reports across the State
- Mt. Lion's rarely interact with humans
- Animals like this are much more afraid of humans
- Reporting suspected sighting is important!
- Actions like: keeping a safe distance, appearing larger, backing away (not running) and ensuring animal have an escape path are best practices